Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Turn Signal Switch Install

With my modified turn signal switch in hand, I set out to install it on the bike. The first thing to do was to remove the old horn-only switch. I unhooked the wires from within the headlight housing, disassembled the switch housing and tried to pull the wires out from inside the handlebars. They were in there fairly snug. Unfortunately I ended up tearing the wires off of the original horn switch, but I got them out. To facilitate installation of the new switch, I had attached a piece of string to the old wires before pulling them out of the bars. I now had a string running through the handlebars, along what would be the route of the new wires.

Well, that all sounds great. But there was a problem. The old hole, to get wires into the handlebars from the switch, was too small. The new switch has more wires and requires a larger hole. How was I going to drill out the hole without loosing the end of the string running through the bars?


Well, I decided to push the string just inside the bars and then drill the hole. I was hoping that I'd be able to fish it back out somehow. The string ended up slipping too far into the bars and I was unable to see or reach it after drilling. The solution I came up with was to use air to blow the string back towards the hole. I don't have an air compressor, so I used that canned air you use to clean out electronics. It worked great!

The switch housing had a pin in it which protruded towards the bars, presumably to make sure the housing is properly oriented on the bars. Since my bars lacked a receiving hole for this pin, I just cut it off and ground it down flat.

After much wresting and a bit of re-soldiering, after I tore a wire loose from the switch, I got the new switch wires run and the housing mounted. Unfortunately it is not perfect. I cannot get the housing to close all of the way. I don't have a good picture of it, but there is about a 1/8th inch gap between the upper and lower parts of the housing. The wires internally are keeping it from closing. I'm not sure what to do about it, perhaps I started from the wrong switch. But for now it is installed sort of. Fitting the new switch was by far the hardest part of adding turn signals to the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment