Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Modding the Switch

As I mentioned in a previous post, the original, optional, turn signal switch for this bike is nearly impossible to find (unless you are willing to spend exorbitant amounts of money for it). Sources a reasonable replacement, from another vintage Honda, is a problem also because they all seem to have one of two issues:

1. They have a headlight hi-low switch on them. On the SL350 that function is already controlled from the other (right) handlebar switch.

2. They have the base of the clutch lever, and rear-view mirror mount, cast integral to the switch. On the SL350, there is a separate bracket for the clutch and mirror.

So, I bought a switch (aftermarket part, like the vintage Honda switches but not for a specific model) that had the clutch and mirror mounts, and decided to try and modify it to resemble the original. Here is a picture of the part before I started (the protrusion on top is where the clutch and mirror mount):





I began by cutting off the bulk of the mount with a sawsall:


Next I used a rotary grinder to further shape this area. And then I sanded the results of that.



Lastly I painted it, and then I was ready to go, or so I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment