Thursday, May 10, 2012

Title and Registration

Changing over the title and registering the bike turned out to be a bit tricky. But I finally got it taken care of. Since the bike is of sufficient age (more than 30 years old), I was able to register it as a collector's vehicle. This carries with it a few stipulations, including that it can only be driven to shows, club events, or occasional Sunday drives. But the upside is that it is now registered for life and does not require re-registration.

Additionally, rather than purchasing new collector's plates, I was able to use "restored plates". Basically I cleaned up the old green Washington plates that were already on the bike and am allowed to display those. Here is a web-blurred pic of the plate so that you can see the style that I mean.


One interesting note, the guy at the DOL told me, "I have some instructions for you." He told me that, if I get pulled over, for any reason, and a police officer runs my plates, no record will be returned. He told me that the bike plate is registered as "equipment". He showed me the actual number (and symbol) on the registration that they will need to run. He explained that some officers will be familiar with this procedure, some will not. Huh, it sounded odd, but I took him at his word.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I live in Bonney Lake and have two 71 SL350's I just restored. I had fun registering the red bike as the title was sound, but the bike did not exist in the WA DMV system. The blue bike had no title, so went through the lost title process, State Patrol inspection etc. was successful last week.

    I bought turn indicators for my blue bike, winker relay from eBay and a CB750 horn button/turn signal switch that I plan to install. No details on my website yet, but many other photos here: www.jimphoenix.com

    Where in WA are you located?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jim. I checked out your web page, very nice bikes! You are doing a much more thorough restoration than I. I've been mostly just cleaning mine up and making it functional and ridable. Your site says you have to wait 3 years for the title. Wow, that seems ridiculous.

    Oh, and I live in Shoreline which is basically N. Seatte.

    ReplyDelete