Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Carb Cleaning - What I Did Wrong

So I just watched a video on carburetor cleaning. I see that I made several mistakes, including:

  • There are several other jets I should probably have cleaned besides the main jets.
  • I should probably have tried to remove the jets and soaked them. While I cleared the center hole on the main jets, they have holes along their sides that can only be accessed by removing them.
  • I should not have used carb cleaner on the float bowl. It is corrosive to the seal. That could cost me the price of a rebuild kit on both carbs. We shall see.
  • I checked the needle valve for free movement, but not the little spring pin that may be in the center of it.
I have not yet decided whether or not to crack them back open at this point to try and correct these oversights. I may wait and see if I need to or not. As I mentioned before, my guess is that I will need to do a proper rebuild at some point anyway. Perhaps it is time to try and source a repair manual for this bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment