Saturday, May 19, 2012

Oil Filter

Before I ran the bike any more, I wanted to make sure that the oil filter was clean. This motorcycle doesn't have a disposable paper filter like is typical on a car. Instead it has a centrifugal type inside the crankcase. I disassembled and cleaned it out. Here are a some cleaned-up pics.




Now, when I took the crankcase cover off, it had a gasket on it that immediately self-destructed. I looked through the manual that came with the bike, a repair manual that I purchased, and several online sources, none of which indicated that the bike originally had a gasket there. It looks as though an earlier bike, the CL350 had one, but this bike should have had an o-ring only. During reassembly I used a wet stone to improve the surface and put in a new o-ring. I am going to test and see if that provides a sufficient seal. Just in case it does not, I have cut my own gasket from some gasket material. I didn't put it in, but I am hanging on to it just in case.




No comments:

Post a Comment