Thursday, October 11, 2012

Still Tuning

OK, so I haven't posted in a while. What have I been doing? Lots of tuning, some repeating old work but trying to do it better. For example, twice I adjusted the point gaps and set the timing. But I ended up doing it a 3rd time when I decided to put in new points and a new condenser. Similarly, twice I have disassembled and cleaned the carbs. But I just did that for a 3rd time with new internal parts (i.e. jets, needle, gaskets, etc.).

The bike now seems to run a lot better, but only under certain conditions. First, it is harder to get it started. Once it starts it runs well and has more power ... for a while. Twice I have ridden it to work. It ran well, both time, for the initial part of the ride. But it was running rougher by the time I got there. Both times I was barely able to keep it running for the trip home. I concluded that it ran fine cold, and even warm, but hot was a problem.

That is until I discovered another problem. The charging system wasn't working correctly. I had attributed the change in how the bike ran to its change in temperature. But I now think that it was simply how long I rode. You see, I was putting the bike on a trickle charger at home. But when riding it, it eventually drained the battery to the point where it runs poorly. I am now putting this theory to the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment