Sunday, April 29, 2012

Mechanical Agitation - Round 2 (Where the Tank Gets Really Agitated)

Step 1, remove petcock from bottom of tank. This provided another peek at the state of the fuel in the tank.


This time I wasn't going to mess around with the manual shake-shake-shake. I needed a more serious, mechanical method of providing the agitating action. I decided to try a method I saw on YouTube where a guy filled the tank with objects to scour the inside of the tank while rotating it in an ordinary clothes dryer. Here is a video clip and a few pics to illustrate the setup.


The tank in a nice secure bundle

Tank bundle in the dryer

Dryer half packed in with filler

Dryer packed and ready to begin tank agitation
OK, so I dried out the tank as best I could, added about 2/3 of the bag of fish tank gravel, and spun it in the dryer for an hour (air only, no heat), rotating it half way through. I had high hopes for this process. In the YouTube video that I watched, when the guy was done spinning his tank in the dryer, he dumped out a big pile of pulverized rust powder. This is what I was expecting. This is what I got.


Although you cannot actually see into the tank in the video, trust me that it is still filthy. I did manage to find 15 of the original 18 ball bearings. Well, back to the drawing board I guess.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder how many "rounds" this fight will go? I hope the tank doesn't win in the end.

    ReplyDelete