Wednesday, April 25, 2012

From Whence It Came

A couple of months back I posted on G+ that I was thinking about undertaking a cafe racer project this summer. The exact content of that post was the following [pic omitted]:

"I'm really feeling like doing a cafe racer project this summer. Nothing as fancy as the pic, I was thinking more of a cheap rat bike. I'm not sure if I have the funds, know-how, or time. But I like the idea."

Well, recently I began searching the classifieds for a cheap, probably non-running, but decent bike to start from. Something that would be a good platform, but that someone with only moderate mechanical ability could get running. I was a bit discouraged by what I could get with the limited funds that I had on hand. That was until my wife began talking to my neighbor Gary about a bike that he had been storing in his garage for some time. It turns out that Gary had a 1971 Honda SL350 that he was willing to part with if I was interested in a good starter bike. He said that he would give me a "deal that I couldn't refuse". Indeed he did, thanks Gary! And Charity! Here is the bike the day that it arrived at my house, yesterday 4/24/2012.


This bike, by all outward appearances, is in much better condition than what I was expecting to start with. But the true nature of its mechanical condition remains to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment